Friday, August 15, 2008

You are an Indentity Creator!

So regardless of the job I have, I try to stay abreast of news or improvements in my industry to feed my need to continuously learn something. Currently that means reading anywhere from 2-5 articles a week on average about the pharmaceutical industry, human resources or recruiting. I was reading an article the other day about identifying top talent that already exists in your organization and how to do that. The article mentioned The Dewey Color System and provided a link to take a test and get a free profile. The test takes no more than 5 minutes and it is simply a series of colors; you choose which you prefer looking at the most and then the least, finally choosing from about 16 colors in order of preference until they are gone. Based on your color choices they can supposedly tell you things about yourself to I guess help you make decisions in your life regarding careers and relationships.

My initial reaction was, what a bunch of malarkey, OK I'll try it! The point is to be instinctual about it and choose what your first thoughts are. After picking and choosing colors, this was my free sample and insight into my person from the fine folks at Dewey Color System:


You're an Identity Creator!

BLUE: initiator, visionary
GREEN: supportive, concerned
BLACK: emotional, focused


You're in touch with your emotions and clearly express what you want. When you listen to others' hopes, fears and concerns, they discover on their own what’s best for them, as well. You give to others the gift of knowing “who they are.”



Now I'm pretty sure I have one consistent reader of this blog (thanks dear!) and mostly because I ask my husband, so did you read my blog today? I'm grateful he amuses me by answering yes most of the time, but for all of my readers [crickets chirping] who know me, that um assessment up there, is pretty accurate. I'm not sure I'm so intrigued or astonished, I will be paying Mr.or Mrs. Dewey to obtain the rest of my results, but I was shocked and immediately pensive upon reading my test results.

Pretty much all of my friends and sometimes even those I don't know that well, have shared something with me followed by the statement, "I've never told anyone that, not even [enter whomever the most trusted and important person of their life's name here]." In the dark and far reaches of my brain (what a scary place THAT must be) I have individuals' deepest, sometimes darkest, secrets swirling around like wee postcards from those Postsecret books by Frank Warren (if you haven't seen these, they make a great house warming gift as a coffee table book). I feel flattered that my friends (and sometimes strangers, although with strangers it's a little unnerving) feel as though they can entrust me with those thoughts and that I represent an ever-present source of calm and giant sounding board. I sometimes think I should have been a cop or something, I don't even have to say anything to receive confessions!

Perhaps it is because I was a shy and introverted child, perhaps because I am a middle child between two very opinionated and...passionate sisters automatically making me the constant mediator and peace-keeper between us, but I've always been a good listener and a great observer. I look people in the eye, I notice body language, but will always examine and observe before opening my mouth. In my quiet looks I often discover things about people that maybe they are not aware of themselves and like my test results say I help people discover "who they are" and even sometimes who they want to be. This entry is really feeling a little too self-serving for my tastes, but my point is if people would just stop and listen for a change and not simply wait for their turn to speak, perchance we could all provide a sense of peace to a friend or even a stranger and then ultimately ourselves.

If you need to confess any sins, divulge a secret or simply get something off your chest, you know where to find me!

I leave today with a quote:

"It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments: